Ortho-Flex™ contains seven nutrients included because of their unique properties in treating specific forms of arthritis or damaged joints.
• GLUCOSAMINE SULFATE: A long chain amino-sugar naturally occurring in cartilage. A major building block of proteoglycans and is used specifically to produce glycolsamineoglycans (GAG’s). GAG’s are proteins that bind water within the structure of cartilage. Glucosamine also stimulates the chondrocytes to produce more collagen and proteoglycans.
• CHONDROITIN SULFATE: Like glucosamine, chondroitin is another of the mucopolysaccharides found in cartilage. Acting as a water magnet, chondroitin helps elevate the levels of synovial fluid in joint. Along with the water attracted by chondroitin are essential nutrients necessary for the health of the cartilage and joints.
• SHARK CARTILAGE: In addition to its natural content of chondroitin and glucosamine, shark cartilage displays some amazing properties that go beyond those of refined mucopolysaccharides. Research has demonstrated shark cartilage to be a powerful and non-toxic anti-inflammatory. Of particular interest to rheumatoid arthritis sufferers is the potential effect of shark cartilage in strengthening the immune system.
• GREEN LIPPED SEA MUSSEL: In addition to its rich stores of mucopolysaccharides, green lipped sea mussel contains high levels of “hyaluronic acid.” A major constituent of synovial fluid, hyaluronic acid is an effective lubricant for the joint and buffers against cartilage damage.
• MSM (METHYLSULFONYLMETHANE): MSM plays an important role in the production of collagen. Insufficient levels of MSM can lead to an inability of the body to repair or replace damaged tissue. MSM also plays a significant role in controlling pain caused by inflamed tissue cells. Such inflammation occurs when tissue cells are unable to adjust their fluid levels in response to atmospheric pressure changes. This is why many people are able to forecast weather changes by the pain in their joints. MSM helps regulate fluid transfer in the tissue by keeping the cell walls flexible and permeable.
• L-HISTIDINE: Those afflicted by arthritis have been shown to have abnormally low levels of the amino acid l-histidine in their bodies. Proper intake of l-histidine may prove beneficial in the reduction of inflammation associated with joint disease and other disorders.
• BORON: This important mineral is renowned for its role in helping to prevent or slow the effects of osteoporosis. There is some evidence to suggest boron may prove beneficial in treating some forms of arthritis.
Other Ingredients: Di-Calcium Phosphate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Alfalfa, Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, Vitamin E, Manganese, Selenium, Silicon, Zinc, Yucca, Devil's Claw and Cetyl Myristoleate.